We Transform Your Legal Challenges Into Solutions.

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Practice Areas
  4.  | 
  5. Family Law
  6.  | Relocation

Looking To Move Away From Carroll Or Rockingham County?

After a divorce, relocating to a new city or state becomes a more difficult process if children are involved. Before a custodial parent can move away, he or she must first seek to have their parenting agreement modified and approved by the family court so that there are no violations of custody or visitation rights.

The New Hampshire divorce lawyers at Kalled Law Offices, PLLC, can represent the interests of the relocating parent in such cases. Sometimes, the other parent may dispute the relocation. If the relocating parent successfully demonstrates the legitimacy and reasonableness of their proposed move at the hearing, then it’s up to the remaining parent to prove that a move is not in the best interest of the children.

A New Hampshire divorce attorney from our firm can present convincing evidence on behalf of left-behind parents to prove that the long-term benefit of the children is better served by avoiding a move. Although this may seem like a potentially overwhelming process, having a skilled family lawyer on your side will increase your chances of a favorable ruling in your case.

Court’s Main Focus: The Child’s Best Interests

The court will always try to be fair in making decisions about parental relocation, but the best interest of the child will be the main concern. If moving a great distance — such as out of state or to another country — will have a negative impact on the lives of the children, then the court may deny the right to relocate.

In some cases, a custodial parent wanting to move could lose physical custody if it is considered that the move would create an unhappy situation for the child, whether the move is for employment, remarriage, or another reason. Access to schools or to other families that are important in the child’s life (such as grandparents) can also be a consideration that is evaluated when one parent has physical custody and attempts to get court approval for a move.

Need A Rockingham County Family Attorney For A Relocation Case?

If you need to relocate, but there is an existing court order for custody and visitation, then our firm can help. You cannot move a great distance without approval from the court. Doing so without approval when you have physical custody of the children can have very negative repercussions, including having custody transferred to the other parent. At Kalled Law Offices, PLLC, our Ossipee family law firm can assist you with any of these issues and has more than 50 years of success in resolving child custody and relocation matters. Contact us today!